• Red Nebula Studios
  • Lovefeast
Commission Keith W!
Things to Ponder
7 Posts.       Goto page 1
Return to Forum Topics 

Nighthawke

Bound

But...no one told me that the fireplace was just decorative!

Arizona

Post title: Things to Ponder
Submitted May 18, 2009 at 7:43PM.   

It seemed sad to me there were no threads in this sub cat, so I decided to post one!

Now, on to the purpose.

We all have them.  Pressing questions that are oddities.  You've heard some before, but in this thread, I challenge you to come up with your OWN, not ones you heard uttered by someone else.  What do I mean?   Well, for instance.

If there's a Mojave desert, how come there's not a Lessjave desert?
If more than one goose are geese, and more than one mouse are mice, how come more than one moose isn't meese?

I leave this thread in your capable hands...

Inara: "What did I say to you about barging into my shuttle?"
Mal: "That it was manly and impulsive?"
Inara: "Yes, precisely. Except the exact phrase I used was 'don't'."

JGray

Dreamwalker

78 worlds * 2 souls * 1 grand adventure

New York

Post title:
Submitted May 18, 2009 at 8:50PM.   

I blame the English language for being a bastard child of a commune of Romance languages.

amanda

Bound

I'm not a jerk, I swear.

austin!

Post title:
Submitted May 19, 2009 at 10:19AM.   

Funny that English borrowed largely from the Romance languages but, in its most basic form, it sounds very Germanic. ^.^  That's my two cents.

As far as pondering, who decided that sticky bee spit would make a good term of endearment?

Critchett

Bound

Sincerity is the greatest facade of them all...

Hither and Thither

Post title:
Submitted May 23, 2009 at 11:41AM.   

The English language is terribly hacked together from so many sources: Latin, Germanic, all of these certainly went into it. As for the mess it made? It's so true! But what can you do, really, right? Hehe

How about this one, it still terrifies me: has anyone ever laid down on a steep hill on their back with their head on the downhill side and their feet towards the top? It gives you such a disoriented feeling, and with nothing in front of your eyes but a vast sky below you and all the ground up above you that it makes you feel like you're clinging to the underside of the world and would fall off into Forever if you ever released the grass around you that you find yourself so desperately clinging onto! At least if you're terrified of heights like I am. Try it sometime, it'll send you for a trip! =)

I'm looking at myself, reflections of my mind.
It's just the kind of day to leave myself behind.
So gently swaying through the fairy land of love.
If you'd just come with me, you'd see the beauty of...

JGray

Dreamwalker

New York

Post title:
Submitted May 24, 2009 at 7:12AM.   

There's a gentle hill, near where I grew up. You could swear it slanted down but when you rolled a ball on it, the ball seemed to go up. It was all an optical illusion but still freaky.

Kymation

Bound

Post title: English?
Submitted September 10, 2009 at 4:46PM.   

“... English is [t]he result of the efforts of Norman men-at-arms to make dates with Saxon barmaids ... and no more legitimate than any of the other results.” H. Beam Piper

Honey acquired that usage because it's sweet. Sorry if that destroys the magic of bee vomit for you. And the plural of moose isn't meese because that's the plural of mouse ... no, wait ... I got nothin'.

JGray

Dreamwalker

New York

Post title:
Submitted September 20, 2009 at 7:31AM.   

Best quote about the English language ever.

Return 
7 Posts.       Goto page 1